Safe, Secure, and Fair Transactions
- To provide a platform for secure and fair transactions, so that our users, merchants, and business partners feel at ease using our service
The Mercari Group’s mission is to create value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell.
We believe that for our services to be used by many, it is not only important that we maintain a fair marketplace where individuals can freely buy and sell, but even more so that we establish a safe environment for transactions which all of our stakeholders—users, merchants, business partners, and more—are able to feel at ease using.
To achieve this, we work to maintain a platform for secure and fair transactions to prevent any kind of physical, mental, or financial trouble before it happens, and deal with anything that does happen swiftly and appropriately.
To realize a secure and fair environment for transactions, we strive not only for better interactions with our users, but to utilize technology to root out and prevent transactions that may lead to issues as early on as possible.
We also work with government agencies, consumer groups, NGOs, academics and other corporations to keep our policies up-to-date and to constantly improve our ability to detect malicious transactions.
Moving forward, we will continue in our efforts to maintain a safe and pleasant platform for all of our users.
Utilizing technology to create safe and secure systems
- A constantly evolving fraud detection system
- We use a fraud detection system to identify fraudulent transactions and prevent them before damage is done. By combining big data with AI technology, we continuously improve the accuracy of our detection systems.
- Secure handling of money
- Mercari uses an escrow system for all transactions. We hold on to funds during the transaction, ensuring both parties hold up their end of the deal before money changes hands.
- Anonymous shipping
- With Mercari’s original shipping methods, RakuRaku Mercari Shipping and YuYu Mercari Shipping, sellers can ship items without either party needing to see the other’s name and address. Mercari also provides support if items are lost or damaged during shipping.
Keeping our policies up to date with social change
- A committee to establish standards for prohibited listings and behavior
- Mercari has created a committee that establishes standards for prohibited listings and behavior to ensure illegal and inappropriate items stay off of our platform. With the Mercari Japan CEO as committee chairman, this committee formulates and acts on policies and detection rules for prohibited listings and behavior.
- Rights Protection Program
- The Rights Protection Program is a support program unique to Mercari. If a rights holder detects an item infringing on their rights on Mercari, we delete the infringing item to protect intellectual properties and prevent fraudulent listings.
- See details
- Information collected through a network of authorities, organizations, and businesses
- To prevent our users from running into trouble on our service, Mercari actively exchanges information with the National Consumer Affairs Center and other consumer affairs centers, and holds educational seminars and events for students.
Mercari takes part in industry groups and government associations, and uses the knowledge gained regarding recent trends in prohibited items, such as counterfeit items and medical supplies, items with safety issues, and fraudulent transactions, to keep our policies up to date and develop new measures to prevent them.
Maintaining a safe and secure platform with customer service
- Quick removal of illegal items and accounts
- Our customer service team works 24/7 to make sure any listings or accounts that violate our terms of service are removed as soon as possible, before they are seen our users.
- Prevention of future incidents by analyzing user reports
- We analyze the reports we receive from our users to find ways to prevent the same issue or suspicious activity from happening in the future.